OBE PhD CEng FIMechE FIET
Rob Lewis is the Managing Director of TotalSim.
Connect with Rob Lewis via LinkedIn.
He has a PhD from the University of Leeds and is a Fellow of the Institute of Mechanical Engineering and the Institution of Engineering and Technology.
In late 1997, Rob left FLUENT to start AdvantageCFD (A-CFD) with Adrian Reynard at Reynard Motorsports. A-CFD supported all of Reynard Motorsports designs from Champ Car to the BAR F1 cars. Rob grew the A-CFD organisation to 25 people by late 2006 when it was an essential part of Honda F1 aerodynamics department. AdvantageCFD succeeded in setting the standard in motorsport CFD from inception to its closure in 2007. The switch in focus away from any outside consulting by the Honda F1 Racing Team gave Rob and some of the team at A-CFD the chance to continue working with their clients by creating TotalSim Ltd.
Rob was as the forefront of CFD use within Formula 1 during 1990s and early 21st century at British American Racing and Honda F1.
In the Queen’s Birthday Honours List 2017 Rob was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire. In October 2017 Rob received his award from HRH The Princess Royal at Buckingham Palace.
The OBE has been awarded for services to science applied to sport in recognition of Rob’s contribution to the performance of British athletes’ over the last 3 Olympic campaigns.
Rob has been a guest speaker at numerous international conferences and symposiums.
Following his PhD in CFD, Rob has since worked at:
- TotalSim, Managing Director
- Advantage CFD, Manager (Owned by Reynard Motorsport, BAR and then Honda RACING F1)
- Fluent Europe, Project Team Leader
- Fluent Europe, Support Engineer
KEY SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
- CFD theory,
- Race car aerodynamics,
- General fluid mechanics,
- Optimisation methods for CFD,
- Managing code development to enhance the CFD process,
- IT knowledge, particularly unix, and bespoke CFD related computer hardware,
- Management of a technical department; business management, accounting and business planning.
What we do…
- When one of the team arrive 3 hours late to work and his excuse is “I have been locked in a toilet”, what can you s… https://t.co/WoxWG8xwV1 about 12 hours ago from Twitter for iPhone
- Another update from Catesby. The road access is now complete and work can now start on the ground works around the… https://t.co/IpnAeAVBE1 about 6 days ago from Twitter Web Client
- RT @Conway_Sean: And that’s a wrap. It’s taken me 6 years, 60,000 miles and 3 failed attempts at a cycling world record but today it finall… about 1 week ago from Twitter for iPhone
- @TotalSimLtd will be at the @covcampus degree show tonight to see if we can find a graphic design megastar to join… https://t.co/aXQ8uClXlN about 1 week ago from Twitter Web Client in reply to TotalSimLtd